During May commencement ceremonies, Teresa H. Carlson, vice president of the Worldwide Public Sector for Amazon Web Services and a member of the VCU Board of Visitors, told the university’s newest graduates: “Find a hole and fill it. If you see something that needs to be done, this is an opportunity. Do your best at every job you have. It will pay off. Think big and be bold.” VCU awarded 4,900 degrees.
VCU’s 2013 annual juried fashion show featured more than 100 of the top garments created by upperclassmen, as chosen by a panel of esteemed industry critics.
- About 300 People Plan the Future at RVA Reality Check (Richmond Times-Dispatch)
- Twins Create Life-Saving Allergy Device (CNN)
- Gone, But Still Linked to the Home Office (New York Times)
- Foreign-Born Seniors Find More Centers That Speak Their Language (Washington Post)
- Four New Companies Make T-D Top 50 List (Richmond Times-Dispatch)
- National Pride Burns Deep (Richmond Times-Dispatch)
Events and announcements
Eleventh Street between Broad and Marshall streets will close from June 17 to Aug. 30 to allow for construction for the new Children’s Pavilion at the Children’s Hospital of Richmond on VCU’s MCV Campus. The alternate route for access to the VCU Medical Center from Broad Street is Ninth Street to Marshall Street.